Most Exciting AHS Happenings:Exciting? No! Memorable? Yes!Does anyone remember the Monday after a football State Championship win that someone decided that we "deserved" a holiday? We staged a walkout after 1st period. We walked out as far as starting down the staircase toward the outside doors. Our principal was standing at double doors on the first floor. He calmly told us to turn around and go to class. We did!Do I remember that correctly? Were we really that compliant?........Carolyn Reynolds
I think it was Ronnie Padberg's car put in front of the band bldg. Bill Myrick may have been involved in it........Michelle
Hey all..........I don't remember a car in the building. What I remember was in front of the band building was 2 large concrete planters with tall rooster comb flowers and in one of them was planted a black renault car. A bunch of the boys picked the car up from the parking area and placed it in the planter. Don't remember who owned the car, just that he was very upset until it was put back on the ground. I won't say who was involved but it was hilarious.......Jewell Scates
Ronnie Padburg's Volkswagon was put on the planter in front of the band building. This maybe what you are thinking about........Love,Ben
Wasn't the old high school building only 2 stories?? Maybe a basement too, or 1/2 basement. I recall Spanish class being near the bottom of a staircase in a lower level, with choir room down a side hallway. I've heard the car/band building story at some of our lunches or other get-togethers. Jewell remembers a Renault, that's probably right, when I heard it before it was a Volkswagen bug. It was Ronnie's car. Jewell definitely remembers a lot of detail, hmm, suppose he was involved? There must have been quite a few involved.Did the walk-out involve lots of us, several classrooms? Carolyn said she can't believe we were so compliant when the principal told us to get back to class, that's because she still teaches today's kids. I can't believe we were rebellious enough to even try it........Holley
I'm behind in my emails, sorry. This has been a hectic week!!! After reading what Marilynn wrote asking us all these questions, I had several memories come to mind, including my singing of "Fever" and the car in front of the band building. I thought about recreating "Fever" this year, but there has been too much happening in my life right now, so maybe for the 50th!!I remember as a Freshman that Carole Jo and someone else and I decided to paint "freshman" on the sidewalk behind the band building. As we were finishing a police car came by on 18th and shined his spotlight all the way across the space behind the band building. Carole Jo and the other girl took off running toward her house and I just hit the ground and waited until they drove on by, but it scared us all. See you just thought we were nice quite young ladies!!!! Fooled you!!I also remember a very embarrassing moment when I found out that a really pretty gold straight skirt Mother had bought (she usually made everything for me) for me showed a nice little "line" across my backside if I wore it during that "week of the month" if you get my drift!!! Girls, how did we manage to put up with that stuff??????????????It's really crazy what memories steal though your mind sometimes. Am I getting senile??Can't wait to see everyone!!.....Love to all, Zuda
Well, you asked. Without any question, the most exciting thing that happened to me was being taught how to French kiss by Carole Jo Holmes at the drive-in theater on Arlington in the summer of 1960. Other influential events: getting picked up to drag Main with Ted Smith, Stu Gluckman, and Joe Kelly at the latter’s suggestion—that was transformational. And joining the choir, at Ted’s instigation, I believe. The delighted astonishment at discovering I could hit the high note in the tenor part of “Deep River.” (I used to sit in Ott’s physics or psych class and listen to the young women singing just down the hall—a wonderful sound indeed.) I have a very large basket of happy memories from AHS, and can only wish that I had more completely appreciated how much fun there was to be had. Pity I had to don the out-dated Sturm und Drang trenchcoat of a German Bildungsroman when I was living not far from the Beach Boys kind of world. But it was grand, just the same.Thank you all very, very much. Rock on......Knick
Joe,You are a joy! When you write I see pictures! You and Carole Jo at the Drive-in. You and Ted, Stu, and Joe dragging Main. You & all in choir. Seems to me at one point the choir met at lunch break in order to get more practice especially at “Cougar Capers” time. I too have fond memories of our years at AHS. Again, thanks for sharing!“Rock on!”…you too!.....Mike Chapman
Joe,Thank you for your picture of memories from Ada High, and for including me in them. I am, I admit slightly embarrassed to have been at the drive-in, but how innocent we were compared to the teenagers today. I think that six or eight of us went to that movie that you mentioned. How did we ever all squeeze in one car? Probably squeezing in one car was part of the fun. Who was there? I think maybe Stu G. drove his car. Does anyone remember? What a special time it was in our lives!Just as Father Mike said your words bring my memories to life, and I can almost hear the Girls Chorus singing down the hall.Thanks again for sharing. Maybe some of us who have been quiet can share some wonderful memories too. I will certainly never forget when some of us went frog gigging and a huge snake decided to be there too. We ran extremely fast to the car, and I wished I had the flashlight......Carole Jo
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment